Re: finger-bombing

Eric Murray (ericm@MicroUnity.com)
Wed, 12 Oct 94 14:32:02 MDT

Anonymous wrote:

> What is the best way to keep someone from finger-bombing
> your site other than having fingerd cat /unix to stdout?
>
> (other than hosts.deny.  We have a person who fingers
> a user at our site from different hosts hundreds of times
> per hour)

write a front-end fingerd (like 10 lines of perl)
that sleeps x seconds before passing the finger request on
to the real machine(s).  or keep track of where the last n minute's
worth of fingers came from, and ignore/sleep/whatever any repeats
from that userid/site.

either way, the idea is to make him spend more processes/cpu time/tcp
connections than you do.

--
     ericm         ericm@microunity.com